Thursday, July 23, 2009

My roomie has gone back :(

My roomie Kajal has gone back to India today. This blog is dedicated to some of the good times I've spent with her. The most regular one being the visit to Tamilisch for lunch everyday. It was a ritual everyday - we used to ping each other and ask whats the plan for lunch - as if we had many options. And everyday we used to go to the same Sri Lankan shop and eat the same rice and 4 vegetables. Our logic to eating there was that it was nutritious food. The most real reason was our laziness to cook food.

Kajal is a very outspoken girl. I was most happy in her company because I never had to speak much. She did most of the speaking and I was more than happy to be silent just giving my usual vishesh tippani's in between. I think that is how we became pretty good friends. But she's also a very good listener. This is a rare quality I really appreciate in her - a person who speaks a lot and yet listens attentively when you speak.

Her habit of converting every price tag in rupees sometimes irritated me, which I was very verbal about. But I guess at the end of it, I rubbed off some of my shoppaholicness onto her and got some careful spending habits from her in return. I remember once we went to Globus where she was considering buying everything and I was stopping her. This was a complete role reversal for the day.

Initially when Kajal came to Basel she was a lot homesick and didnt really go out much. She had some friends she knew from Pune, but cant term her as outgoing. I guess when my Mom came to Basel, she had real good talking time with her. And that is how I opened up to her as well.

I will also remember her for cooking some of the good Gujju dishes for us. Especially I've learnt the quick and easy Pudla from her.

We've had some nice walks around Basel. Manytimes on Rhineside in the evening. And shared some gyaan about each other's lives sitting near Rhine. I really like giving gyaan to her. Somehow it makes me feel that I've some deep insight into life that I can share.. Though I know its just both of us sharing our thoughts. We've discussed quite a lot of issues like this. Arguing and discussing both sides of the coin.

The funnies time was when we planned the trip to London. That was one sudden plan we made - sitting one day in Tamilisch, having food. I cant believe in 1 week we had completed all visa formalities and were at the British visa office to apply. Our trip to London was also a memorable one. We had a really nice time there, Thanks to Pandeji and her group of friends.

One of the habits we developed was observing and commenting on people around whenever we were together. I remember standing in the immigration queue at Gatwick airport, we commented on almost every person there, young girls, old ladies, ladies with kids, guys with kids, cute guys, big uncles, families, even the immigration officers. It was super fun!

Kajal had come here only for a couple of months, but ended up staying here for almost 9 months. Thats quite a feat considering that she runs off to her home every weekend. Its quite commendable that she's travelled alone back home. I can imagine this time must have been a growing time in her life that has made her more independent and capaable of taking care of herself.

Well hopefully we'll catch up when I go back to India. Till then Wishing Kajal all the best in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment