Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Purple Velo and Pink Roses



4th Nov, 2008

Today was the day when I finally got the bicycle I'd been expectantly waiting for since a long time. Sharda, the girl with whom I stayed earlier is leaving forever to India and has generously given her cycle to me. And today afternoon I skipped lunch to go to her place and take the bicycle.

The bicycle is very light weight, 6 gears, with a dynamo for light after it gets dark (which is a traffic rule here). And the whole cycle is purple colored, even its lock is purple and so is the key. So all in all, its a cool smart girly cycle just like I dreamt. The only problem while taking the bicycle was that the tyres were low on air and I needed to fill air before I could ride it.. And here started my eventful 2 hours... which I will maybe never forget in life...

Now there are no "puncture walas" at every nook and corner here like in India, but I was informed that there are air pumps at every petrol bunk and one was located very near to where I started from.

Call it my luck or changing city, I could not find the petrol bunk anywhere nearby and after sometime thought of asking help from a bunch of kids playing there The three kids got into a frenzy discussion, about the right place to go. I guess wherever in world you go, kids are always like that, very enthusiastic to help people while also trying to show of their knowledge.

After the usual grouping, arguments and domination , they took me to a nearby petrol bunk,where Yes.. there was an air pump.. BUT... as we found out it was not for VELO (Velo means cycle here.. hence the Purple Velo). And trying to put air in the front tyre, we ended up deflating it completely. So that now I had to lift it and walk around. Saying many thanks to the kids, I decided it was best to ask somebody else for help.

Standing at the crossing I was waiting for some person on cycle to comeby who would surely know of air pump nearby. And so after 5 minutes I saw a Swiss Gentleman walking on the road with his Velo. He was around 55-60 yrs of age but very energetic and fit. He knew english and so I could express him my problem.

Very kindly he offered me to show the nearest VeloStand (where a pump was also expected) and in fact accompanied me there. On the way he told me that he was on his way to buy a birthday cake for a dear friend. He also told me that generally Swiss are cold and would not help anyone. But I was a nice lady and he wanted to be a good Swiss Gentleman and also was not in much hurry so he would help me. Now though I was listening most intently, I was suspicious - where is he taking me? why is he being so nice? ... I guess over the time we hear/ read/ see so much bad news everyday that a genuine human goodness is hard to believe.

So... whatever... we finally reached a velostand, which was in the middle of the market, but now, we could not see any airpump around. This was totally NOT MY DAY! The gentleman offered to find a pump for me from another place, but I then it struck me that I could also buy a manual one from the supermarket nearby. Here as well, the Swissman, offered to come with me to the supermarket, and did in fact find a cheap good pump for me. He also offered to help me fill air in the tyres after ordering the birthday cake. Just to remind you, he was spending this time on his way to a birthday celebration.

Now I was taken over by a sense of "representing my country" and wanted to show that Indians show gratitude graciously. I've had this 'representing India' feeling ever since I've come here, but never till today had it been so strong. I immediatly thought of buying some flowers for him. So while he was ordering the cake I went to the adjoining flower section and bought two Pink Roses (i could only afford that much). And once he was done, we went to the stand, tried to fill air in the bicycle. It seemed that he could not, because the tyre port in my bike was fine while the pump did not seem to support it. He said I could go to the same shop and buy a small metal adapter and it will be done. I thanked him for being so nice to me and gave him the flowers as a gesture of gratitude.

The expression on his face at that moment, I can never forget it. He was like taken aback like I was giving something big in return for small help.

In that moment I think I saw two people, not trying to 'represent their own country' being good to each other but just two humans happily surprised at the survival of human bonding, just plain goodness beyond color, age, nationality everything... It was a moment in my life I will never forget.

Finally after going one more round to the shop, I found out that the same pump would work for my tyres just that I had to lock it properly. And then while I was struggling to fill air in my tyres again, a lady from nearby shop came and told me of a place I knew where I could find a air pump. Finally I found the machine pump, filled air in the tyres of my bike and happily rode towards my office.

I had not eaten anything, but there was no fatigue, no hunger I was content with happiness and reaffirmed faith in mankind.

So it is.. now when I will ride my purple velo or see pink roses ever in my life, it will remind me of the kind hearted Swiss Gentleman and the fact that there are still people in this world who believe in pure, simple Humanity...

1 comment:

  1. 1. I wonder how it would have been if it would have been me in place of you. I am pretty sure the good uncle wouldnt have been so helpful. And the kids wouldnt have had an animated discussion trying to help me. And no lady would have come to show me the mechanical pump. Aaaah.. the benefits of being a "She". Its all in the S :)

    Btw if it would have been me it wouldnt have been the Purple Velo and neither the Pink Roses!

    ReplyDelete